I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Monday, February 20, 2012

It’s early Monday morning

 

And I’m already tired of the day. I’ve got a bit of running around to do this morning, a few phone calls to make, laundry to fold (no, I don’t have a housekeeper) and once that is all out of the way I will be working on “A Silent Star” for the rest of the week. Barring, of course any interruptions life in all its wondrous forms will throw at me and my perfectly arranged schedule.

“A Silent Star” refers to the memorial wall of black stars in the main entrance of the CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia. Each star represents a CIA officer who died in the service of his country. One of those stars is for one of the members of a CIA team sent into Yemen immediately after the attack on the USS Cole to seize Osama Bin Laden, who was located in a small village in that country.

That team member was on her first assignment, and she made a fatal mistake. Since this was very much a covert operation that failed the records were purged and the family was given no information about how the young woman died. The three survivors, however, were all promoted and continued to work for the Company.

The story will tell the tale of the tale of that attempt and what happened in the lives of the three surviving team members afterward.

Needless to say, their identities are unknown to me and will remain so. But there is sufficient information available to write the tale and remain close to the facts without divulging more about the individuals than is safe, or necessary.

It is one heck of a story.

On the third of March I will be in Green Cove Springs, Florida, for their 20th Railroad and History Day.  It is quite an event.

Have a great week. I’ll be right here, writing, or putting up with all manner of irritating interruptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment