I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Update on “The Big Move”

 

Only it’s not a ‘Move’, exactly. It’s more like trash the old one, redirect the domain name and then build a brand new web site from scratch.

Unfortunately.

And it is a pain in my behind. But, as I mentioned in my last post, I was not given a great deal of choice in the matter. A few months ago I contemplated doing this very thing, but reconsidered after getting a few prices from hosting services and getting an idea of what would be involved in shifting my web site to a new host. I was unenthusiastic about the prices and downright staggered by all of the work involved.

I was right.

But I must say that Microsoft offered me such a nice deal  - with nasty implications if I failed to take them up on their lovely offer. Those nasty implications included finding another host for the web site, paying their monthly hosting fee, and still having to do all of the work by my lonesome. But their pricing was such I never even considered NOT taking the offer from Microsoft.

All things being equal, I am much better off staying with Microsoft for the hosting.

So this morning I began to build the web site. I’ve trimmed it down a bit, used ‘zones’ on a few of the pages for the sake of organization, and all in all the site is much better organized than the old one. So as of right now, all of the pages are there with buttons along the left side for navigation and I am reasonable satisfied with the look and feel.

But I can’t, for the life of me, figure out how to set up a blog on the site. So I posted a question to the techies, and I’m waiting on a response.

The domain name change should take effect in 24-hours from just about right now, and as soon as it does I’ll publish the web site and we’ll all get to take a look at it together.

Won’t that be exciting?

Not really, but I’m looking forward to it anyway.

So, if you would, say around three o’clock tomorrow afternoon (EST, that is), type www.garyshowalter.com into the URL bar at the top of your browser and give the web site a look-see. You can drop me a line at gary@garyshowalter.com and let me know what you think. Click through the pages and try to open one of the PDF files on the “Novels” page to see if it opens. I’ve got the first three chapters of my new novel, “Lonesome Cove” up there now…

Let me know, pretty please with sugar on, if something does not work.

No comments:

Post a Comment