I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Web Site and Business Email Address will be unavailable for a few Days…

 

My web site (www.garyshowalter.com) and business email address (gary@garyshowalter.com) will be unavailable for the next few days while I move (again, sigh) to a new web site hosting service. I am sorry for any interruption of service, but this will be the last time I have to do this ( I hope hope hope it is!).

Microsoft's new Office 365 hosting service is not at all what it should be, as I have mentioned in a few prior posts. I made arrangements just a few minute ago to move my domain name to another hosting service. The Web site and email address will be back on line in a matter of a few days.

I do thank you all for bearing with me through this nightmare; I am reacting to, not initiating, a major screwup. I wish it were otherwise, because all of this mucking about with building web sites and moving them all over the damn place has absolutely nothing to do with writing (and re-writing) novels and building a readership.

But, as I have mentioned several times, being a writer – producing novels, short stories and so on, is not the be-all and end-all of writing for a living. Life do tend to intrude at the oddest of times in the life of ever writer, and this is one of those times for me.

Being a good writer enables you to produce a Product. Great. Congratulations. Now what? Now that you’ve spent a year or two years creating a Product, whatcha’ gonna do wit’ it?

Well, boys and girls, you gots ta sell that lil’ puppy and make yo’sef some bucks sose yer kin writes some mo’ of them book things, and then yer gots ta sell them, too.

And part of that is Managing your Resources, such as web sites and email address. Because if you can’t, or don’t want to learn how, you have to pay someone else to do that for you, and then you have to write lots and lots more of them book things and sell lots and lots more of them to pay someone else to do what you COULD do all by yourself. Of course, when you do it all by yourself you don’t have so much time left to actually write any more, do you?

Which is why I started this part of my rant by mentioning ‘Resources’. Time is really the most precious of the resources we have and just about the only one that really is finite (in a really big way, to0). Your choice, of course, but since my dollars and sense (Yes, I mean ‘sense’) are so very limited, I do as much of the housework as I can stand.

Which is why I am building my web site and setting up my email server all by my little old self. Again.

Thank you vey much,  Microsoft.

I have worked in and around computers since 1971, and I have developed over the years some very well-founded and well-justified biases and prejudices for certain companies and products. Microsoft is way at the top of several of my lists of biases and prejudices. I truly do love to hate that company. Especially now.

February will go down in my personal history as a  very ‘Interesting’ month.

I wouldn't have minded if we’d skipped it entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment