I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Friday, February 10, 2012

It’s Friday night, and I’m Beat

 

“lonesome Cove” has gone out the door – twice, in fact, because I had to add some stuff to the ending. Now I’m thinking of adding more, but I’m afraid my publisher will go into a hissy fit if I send her another version before the second is even edited. That’s a good reason to do absolutely nothing on LC until I hear back from the editor, I guess.

But the ending does bother me…

Yesterday I started on that novel I’ll be co-authoring with Tony Attanasio. Tony’s got quite a background – he served in the Marine Corps, worked as a detective sergeant with NYPD in their Organized Crime Unit, spent ten years with DEA where he worked in a lot of the trouble spots and acted as the DEA liaison with the CIA on some very interesting cases.

He’s been declared an expert in international drug trafficking by the New York State Supreme Court, the U.S. District Court in Miami and by the German Supreme Court in Bavaria.

He’s written several books and worked as the organized crime advisor ton Robert De Nero’s movie, “Ronin”. He’s received numerous awards in the field of law enforcement and government, including seventeen awards for valor from the NYPD and from several foreign governments as well. Tony is a certified Florida Department of Law Enforcement Criminal Justice Instructor. If you want to know more about this very interesting man, check out his web site at:

http://www.s2institute.com/content/_pages_about/_instructors/attanasio.php

I’ve spent the last two days going through the material he sent me on the novel we’ll be co-authoring. It’s titled, “A Silent Star”. I’m not going to divulge any of the details at this stage, but I will say it covers what happened after the attack on the U.S.S Cole (DDG-67), one of the Arleigh Burke class destroyers.

A 35-foot boat laden with the explosives RDX and TNT with two bombers on board rammed the USS Cole port amidships while it was refueling in Aden harbor, ripping a 32-foot by 36-foot hole in the hull and causing extensive internal damage. The ships crew lost seventeen dead and forty-seven injured.

The attack occurred in the harbor of Aden, Yemen, at eleven twenty-two on the morning of October 12, 2000.

Our story will be about the lives and actions of some of the people involved in the search for the perpetrators following that attack. From what I have read so far, it is going to be a very interesting story, indeed. It is a novelization, and names and circumstances will be changed to protect their identities without diluting the harsh realities of these valiant individuals.

With any luck at all, it will be released later this year for the Kindle. I have no idea of a publication date for a paperback version, but believe me when I say this one will be out in paper, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment