I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

It’s Sunday morning

Technorati Tags:

 

My first book signing of the Fall was supposed to be at the Historic Grounds Bookstore in Green Cove Springs on 11 September, but I was way to sick with an upper respiratory infection to even think about it. I do apologize.

Yesterday I was at Flagler College in St. Augustine for a group signing for the Florida heritage Book Festival. It was held in the Rodhaver Student Union building. There were about fifteen authors and a very nice crowd throughout the day.

Frankly, I wasn’t feeling very well, but I did manage to finish out the day. Unfortunately for me, I had not yet received a single copy of “Hog Valley”, so my table looked a bit empty. But I did have “The Big Bend”, and sold several copies.

Unfortunately for all of the other authors in the room, Carl Hiaasen was there, with lots of copies of lots of his books, and he sold bunches. The poor guy spent the entire day autographing his books. His hand must have been really, really sore by the end. It must be tough being him.

The rest of us just sat and watched, for the most part (we’ll ignore the all of the hissing and catty remarks from the other authors in the room). The line of people clasping copies of his books stood patiently (it was a very long line) until they could get their copy signed. A few people bought several of his books and he had to sign each and every one of them.

But he’s earned it. Carl Hiaasen is a damn fine author.

My thanks to the folks at the Florida Heritage Book Festival for putting on on such a  great event!

You can find a list of events I’ll be attending this Fall on my web site. I’m pretty sure Carl Hiaasen won’t be at any of them, but you never know who will be…

No comments:

Post a Comment