I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

“Hog Valley” vs. Moving

Technorati Tags: ,,,

It’s a tie, on several levels. Both projects have together drained me dry, where either project alone would merely have left me exhausted. As far as pure anxiety is concerned, “Hog Valley” wins with sleepless nights and nightmares of covers glued on upside down and interior text in Ukrainian or only half the pages have type in any language. I’ve just this afternoon seen the final proof for the cover. It is gorgeous. The final interior proof should be here in the next day or so.

But Moving has it over “Hog Valley” in physical strain, shortness of breath and just plain exhaustion.

All of us – my sister, her husband and yours truly, are now living in the new apartment in Orange Park, along with the furniture and all of the odd bits still in boxes or simply dropped in an empty spot. Which boxes are stacked in the middle of the rooms and along the walls. Meaning, of course, that you simply can’t get there from here. If you are stout of heart and willing to plot a very will he - nill he course (or no course at all) you can forge your way into the kitchen, but it is very unlikely you will ever be able to return to whatever civilization you left behind.

I was in the living room watching television yesterday afternoon, when I recalled a reference book I needed for “Twisted Key”. So I headed for the library room just behind the kitchen (I think that’s where it is, or at least was), looking for a particular box of books, and somehow wound up walking on Edgewater Drive in Orlando, carrying my dirty laundry bag. I turned around very quickly and found myself back in the apartment, this time in the laundry room, with the reference book in hand.

That was a very close call, I tell you. I didn’t have any change for the Laundromat.

Neither Richard nor myself have seen my sister in three days, though we can hear her cries. We can also hear the trumpeting and roaring of some large and hungry beast, hard on her trail.

Before you snort in derision, remember this is Florida, where anything is possible. In fact, in Florida, anything is very likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment