I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

“Hog Valley” & “Twisted Key”

 

I’ve mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. “Hog Valley”, two years in the writing and preparation, will be going to the publisher at the end of this week. I cannot begin to tell you how very good that feels.

My novels run from 104,000 to 109,000 words. They feature good character development, complex plotting lots of tension and mystery and bits of humor to change the pace of the narrative. Read through the Reader’s Comments page on the web site to see what real people have to say about “The Big Bend”: www.garyshowalter.com.

“Twisted Key”, my third novel, is once again on the front burner of my life. All of the housekeeping is done, all of the recent rounds of edits have been read through, considered or rejected and all of the changes made to the first hundred or so pages. Once the file was saved, I copied out the first three chapters and saved them as a separate file. I replaced the file I had on the web site with the new material and made up a new PDF file of the chapters and uploaded it to the web site. Then I sent out notification emails about the availability of the new material.

I’ve added a third even to my calendar for the fall. the event is a ‘Fall Festival’, oddly enough right around Halloween, at one of the churches here in Orange Park. I participated in their Spring Festival and sold half-a dozen copies of “The Big Bend” before the blazing hot sun threatened to broil my brain. The vendors were all sitting in the middle of an asphalt parking lot. I, of course, did not have a tent…

But this Fall I will be back, with copies of both “The Big Bend” and “Hog Valley”. I hope to sell large numbers of both, to repeat and new buyers, what with Christmas being right around the corner. I’m also looking at dropping the price, but I can’t say much more than that right now.

But I can say that folks who buy more than one book will see a further price break, ‘L’ encourage autre’, or however they say it in France…

No comments:

Post a Comment