I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Monday, August 9, 2010

I’m running out of options

I almost put pen to paper this morning. I was standing in the living room, alone, looking at the television (which was turned off at the time), thinking about flipping through the desert of morning TV channels, thinking about picking up a book to read, thinking about defragging my computer (again), thinking about installing some new software to test, thinking about damn near anything but writing new material in “Twisted Key”.

Don’t get me wrong. I want to write new material for the novel. I just don’t want to do it right now. Because before I can do that I have to re-read what I’ve already got and lay out two or three new scenes and figure out where I ant to go with the story, and so on.

That’s what I’m putting off. It’s like cleaning up the kitchen before you can start to cook another meal. It’s like weeding the garden before you can stick new bedding plants into the ground. It’s prep work. It’s drudgery, and I just don’t want to start in on it.

Not right now, anyway.

But I’m getting there. I know how good that story is going to be. To tell the truth, it’s always like this for me when I haven’t been writing new material for a while. I have to work my way back into that place called ‘Zone’, where all I think about is what I’m writing and what I’m going to be writing, about what the characters are up to in their lives.

And where I can – no, where I have a legitimate reason to – ignore the world around for for a month or two. It’s where I can ignore the foul politics of today, where I can forget about the great sucking sound our economy is making as it goes down the tubes.

There isn’t much I can do about the politics of today, and I certainly can’t fix our morbid economy. But I can write a very interesting story in spite of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment