I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

“Twisted Key”, “Lonesome Cove” and a few other bits

 

“Twisted Key” is off to the editors. I’ve had one manuscript copy printed in the meantime, and using it to gather reader responses from a few book dealers and readers. So far, what I’ve heard gives me lots of encouragement. One reader finished it in two days and said it’s fast-paced and kept him on the edge of his seat.

All of the add-on text, such as the Acknowledgements, Dedication, Author’s Note and so on, are done and placed in the manuscript.

I’ve already added the first ten pages of my fourth novel, titled “Lonesome Cove”, to the end of “Twisted Key”. So far, I like where the story is going. A lot. It starts on Sanibel Island, one of my favorite places in the whole wide world (especially when all the tourists are back home). I should also add that I love Cades Cove, way up in the Smokey Mountains, St. Simon’s Island off the coast of Brunswick, Georgia (read “The Marshes of Glynn” by Sidney Lanier. You’ll understand why I love St. Simon’s) and just about any spot in Israel. If you’ve never been to Israel, make a point of visiting.

I have digressed somewhat, and I refuse to apologize.

My work computer is an old Dell Dimension 2350. It’s about seven years old, and acts like it. Along with being somewhat underpowered, it’s limited to one gig of RAM. One of us should be taken out and shot, just to put me out of my misery. Since things are getting to the point where I am seriously considering doing violence to my computer, I have invested some time looking for a replacement.

Budget issues being what they are, I am tending toward a ‘build it yourself’ machine from CompUSA. They offer some nice hardware in their kits, and I don’t mind the do it yourself option. I’ve built several such machines over the years, starting way, way back when cards had to be configured with IRQ jumpers and yelling and screaming were a matter of course, right along with sliced fingers and fried motherboards.

I’m still very much in the thinking and pricing, but once I make a decision I’ll let you know. Another issue I have to deal with is Windows 7. I like Windows XP/SP3 just fine, and don’t see any reason to pay $140.00 to upgrade to the new version. I’d just as soon wait another year for all the really bad bugs to be worked out of Win 7. But with a brand new machine with current hardware, maybe I’ll make the change. Who knows?

I have a book signing at the Historic Grounds Bookstore in Green Cove Springs on 12 February, between 4 and 7 pm. Stop by if you’re in the area. It’s got wine and cheese on.

Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment