I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Friday, January 7, 2011

“Twisted Key” and Advanced System Care 3

I keep shooting to get this blog out on Mondays, but apparently I’m a lousy shot. Today’s Friday. At least I got it out in the same week.

“Twisted Key” is now 183 good pages. I spent this morning on editing, starting at page #1 and worked my way through page 183. I’m happy with the result, but then, I’m not my editor.

It’s a good story, with more twists than your average garden snake. And I guarantee that you will never figure out the ending. I haven’t, and I’m the writer.

My characters drive my stories. Well, my characters and the situations they find themselves in. Each story has a series of events that have to occur in some semblance of order. But how each character reacts to those events is defined by his or her personality, the constraints placed upon them by their jobs,  and their relationships with the other characters.

It’s been said before, but the big difference between life and fiction is that fiction has to make sense. In my stories I try to blur that difference just a little bit.

I’m a big fan of Advanced System Care by IOBit (www.iobit.com). This is one of the best system optimization tools I have run across in my years (lots of years, folks) working with computers. ASC has been on my desktop computer for the better part of a year, along with one or sometimes two other system optimization tools. I rarely use the others. ASC has an easy to understand interface and it works very well, indeed.

IOBit recently offered a Beta version of ASC 4 and I jumped at the opportunity to try it out. I like the interface even more than the release version and it runs through everything from a malware checker, Registry cleaner, security tool, Windows optimization tool, defragger and I don’t recall what else in a matter of a few minutes. With a simple click you can turn on or off any of the operations and once the checks have been done the software will wait until you’ve had the chance to look at the results before clicking on the Repair button to implement the fixes.

At the end of the repair process a text box opens with the fix report for you to read through.

For a Beta version, ASC 4 is rock solid, and it works. Fast. I like this tool.

Have a great weekend. Drive safe, and remember to wear a jacket when you go outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment