I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Monday, December 6, 2010

A busy week ahead

 

Being sick – with whatever it was – is a bummer. Getting better isn’t much of an improvement, because you have to run twice as fast just to catch up to where you should have been. And there you are, all tired and worn down from being sick, putting yourself into deadly danger by all that running and worrying, knowing your bills are coming up fast behind and waiting in ambush up ahead.

Life just ain’t fair, I tell yah.

So I don’t do that. I admit that I used to, but not any more. I prefer to maintain a slow and stately progress through life. I get bit on the butt by an especially aggressive bill or two, and I may blunder into an ambush set by an especially devious bill lurking somewhere up ahead, but for the most part I get to where I’m supposed to be, more or less intact, and not all sweaty and wiped out from all that running twice as fast business.

Actually, if I just absolutely, positively, had to be sick, last week was an particularly good time for it. I didn’t have any events scheduled, you see.

But I do this week. In fact, I have three events scheduled in the next ten days. I’ll be speaking at Rasmussen College in Ocala on Wednesday, December 8, and signing books at the Fleming Island Winter Festival on Saturday, December 11 and at the Middleburg Winter Festival at the Middleburg Elementary School on December 18. That last is a benefit for a young man afflicted with a serious disease. I will be donating a few signed copies to the event promoters for their auction.

The Post Office just delivered a book order this morning. I usually get such deliveries well within a week of placing the order. Now, with the holidays closing in on us, this particular order took well over two weeks to arrive. Not good.

I’m working hard on “Twisted Key”, the third novel in the Terry Rankin series, and I just started a new, non-fiction project that is still very much in the research and organization phase of its young life. But it is looking good.

 

I hope you all have a very good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment