I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Friday, December 17, 2010

An apology, and some Warm Fuzzies

 

Please accept my apologies for not posting at the beginning of this week (along with most other weeks). I try to get these posts out on Monday or Tuesday, but Life, working on my book projects and small interruptions tend to get in my way. Bedsides, I just love the sound of deadlines as they go wooshing by.

I’m scheduled to be at a charity benefit at the Middleburg Elementary School scheduled for tomorrow, December 18, and because this is one of Jacksonville’s damper seasons I have been keeping a close eye on the weather. Naturally, there is a 60% chance of showers and the odd thunder storm. But I’ll be there, smiling, rain or no rain. In my tent. With the sides down, sipping hot coffee. Cold, and probably somewhat damp.

But I’ll be there.

I had a phone call from one of my customers who purchased “The Big Bend” for his wife about a month ago. He wanted to know how he could purchase “Hog Valley” for her because she enjoyed “The Big Bend” so much.

This is a charity event to raise money for a young man with Hodgkins Lymphoma, and I’ve committed to providing a few signed copies for the fund raiser auction.

On the 17th of January I’ll be at “All Booked Up” on Bichara Blvd in The Villages between Leesburg and Ocala for a signing.

If you’re in the area of either event, please stop by and say hello.

On another note entirely, my CD drive gave up the ghost. It’s been reluctant to accept some of the CD’s I’ve tried to access, and finally the cup holder wouldn’t even slide out when I pushed the Eject button. So I ordered a new one, along with a PCI graphics card with 512 MB RAM on board. I might have mentioned an earlier attempt to order a PCI graphics card; that time I would up with a PCIE card. Needless to say, it didn’t fit any of the three PCI slots on the motherboard…

Wish me better luck this time.

I purchased Serif’s DrawPlus X4. That’s one of the CD’s my CD drive refused to recognize, so I couldn’t install the software and test it out. Or report on it. But I will, as soon as the new CD drive arrives. And I get it installed. And install the new graphics card. Which, if all goes well, shouldn’t take more than twenty minutes.

I’ll be sure to tell you all about that, too.

Have a great weekend. Mine will be somewhat damp and a bit on the chilly side, but if you’re anywhere near Middleburg, Florida on Saturday, be sure to stop by the event at the elementary school on Blanding Blvd. Spend some money, help that young man, and stop by my tent and visit for a bit.

Bring hot coffee. I take mine with cream and sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment