I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Friday, December 23, 2011

I bought a Kindle, and I feel like a traitor

 

I’m not exactly sure what or who I might have betrayed, though.  Maybe I just feel like I’ve let my side down. But I’ve had my novels selling on both Kindle and Nook for about a year, and I had no idea what an eBook actually looked like.

So, I bought a Kindle “Touch” with WiFi. It’s grey-scale and does not have 3G capability, though the Touch does come in a 3G/WiFi version. But I will NOT purchase ANY electronic product that requires a contract/monthly payment plan. Will not. Ever. Period.

So I might have spent a bit over $100.00 on my Touch, but I didn’t spend $200.00 on a Kindle Fire. Good for me. That just means I kept that hundred bucks in My pocket. Right where it belongs.

So I am very happy with my Touch. Along with the device I bought a protective leather cover for a few dollars more, and it is well worth the price. I can download an eBook in a few seconds, read it at my leisure, and enjoy it. It is lightweight, the screen is clear even in low light (or maybe I just have really good close-up vision) and the books are remarkably inexpensive (more or less, anyway).

But I can’t bend down a page to mark my place. Of course, I can always tear up a bit of napkin and stick it between the front cover and the view screen. But once you start to read a book you can simply put the device down or even turn it off, and when you find yourself with a bit of time all you have to do is start it up and you are right back in the novel where you left off. No need for bookmarks.

Truth to tell, I have yet to buy one of my own books to see what they look like on the device. But I’ll get a round to it. Some day. Once I finish reading the books I’ve got on it now. Maybe.

I bought Taylor Anderson’s “Firestorm” http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_15?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=taylor+anderson+kindle+books&sprefix=taylor+anderson

This is the latest in his ‘Destroyermen’ series, and enjoyed it immensely. Anderson is a master of the alternate universe genre. His world is well crafted and true to itself, and all of the characters in it are real people. His plotting is impeccable and the stories move along so well by the end of the tale you find yourself hungry for the next in the series. I cannot recommend his work highly enough.

Michael J. Sullivan has his “Riyria Revelations” series out in 3 volumes:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=michael+j+sullivan+kindle+books&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3Amichael+j+sullivan+kindle+books&ajr=0

I’ve read “Theft of Swords” and “Rise of Empire” and have “Heir of Novron” on order. Sullivan writes in the Swords and Sorcery genre and his writing is superb; lots of light humor and dark deeds, along with a bit of love and romance and more than enough thrills and chills to keep the reader entranced.

I downloaded his free short story “the Viscount and the Witch” and read it in less than an hour. It provides a bit of backstory to the relationship between his main characters, Hadrian and Royce. Very enjoyable.

Next on my gotta-have-this-book list is “Ghost Story”, by one of my all-time favorite authors, Jim Butcher. It truly is unputdownable (Relax, it’s okay; I’m an author. I can do things like that. I have a license. Really).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_11?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=jim+butcher+kindle+books&sprefix=jim+butcher

For all you Dresden Files fans, Ghost Story is a must read.

Next on my gotta-read-this-book list is “The Undertaker”, by William Brown.

http://billbrownwritesnovels.wordpress.com/

Bill writes murder/mystery novels with some very interesting plots. I just picked up on his blog thanks to a recommendation on FaceBook by another author, Allan Ansorge.

http://aeansorge.com/

Allan writes mysteries with a lot of humor and curious plot twists. he does stuff with his characters I could never get away with, and he does it with an élan that is simply amazing. I’ve met Allan a few times at group book signings. he really is quite a character, and an authentic nice guy.

All of the media pundits, including my very own, Don McCauley, say I should be ending my blog posts with a “Call to Action”. So here it is, folks:

Have Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukka, and a Safe and Profitable New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment