I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

An interesting request for my readers…

Hello, Friends and Readers:

As you may know, my third novel, “Twisted Key”, is ready for the publisher.

This is the back cover text for the novel:

Terry Rankin has a new client; Fatima al Natsche, a Muslim woman living under a sentence of death for her work on behalf of women suffering under Islamic law. Terry’s a businessman – he’ll protect just about anyone who can pay the freight. In fact, he admires Ms. Al Natsche and the sacrifices she’s made to get her message out.

But then her daughter flies over from Norway and gets snatched off the street in front of her mother’s home, and all of the masks come off and all of the dirty little secrets come out to play in the Florida sun.

And this is the cover art for the novel:

TKCoverArtFinalIcon

It has been ready for about two months. In fact, “Twisted Key” has been available in kindle format for the last eight weeks and has been selling. But paperback copies require hands-on prepress work and cover design, and that costs money up front.

Unfortunately, my finances hare not up to the task of covering those costs. I self-publish, which means that I pay to have the novel formatted and for the cover art to be prepared according to my direction.

I have had a rough few years due to health issues, including surgery to repair a torn retina in my left eye and the onset of Type 2 diabetes. I have lived a very interesting life, and now I’m paying for it. And those expenses just had to come before I spent a single penny of publishing costs.

All of which brings us to the point of this little missive.

I am asking you to contribute to the publishing of “Twisted Key”. Think of this as pre-ordering a signed copy. In return for your cooperation, I offer the following:

For $20.00 to $30.00, you will receive a signed and numbered copy of “Twisted Key”, with a short note offering you my heartfelt thanks for your help.

For $30.00 and up in addition to the above your name will appear on the Acknowledgements Page of the novel.

You may, of course, provide any help up to $20.00, but due to the cost of the copies and the shipping and mailing charges I cannot afford to mail out any copies of the novel. But you will still have my eternal gratitude for your contribution.

This fund raising is being run through a “CrowdFunding” web site, Kickstarter.com. CrowdFunding is a new and legitimate fund raising method for small projects such as mine, and has grown rapidly due to the cost of raising money through banks and IPO’s. The Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) rules and regulations have no control over crowdfunding since no ‘Investing’ is being done and no shares are involved. In return for funds raised through crowdfunding the participants receive value from the fund raiser.

I have set a minimum of $1800.00 on this project, and a time limit of 30 days. Your funds will go into an escrow account controlled by Amazon.com. If that limit is not reached during that time, your money will be returned to you.

Any funds raised over and above that $1800.00 will go toward the publication of my fourth novel, Lonesome Cove”. LC is about ¾ written and should be going to my editors in October of this year, with a publication date of July of next year.

You can learn more about crowdfunding and this project by clicking on the link below:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/344026567/publication-of-my-third-novel-twisted-key

The page should look something like this:

clip_image002

Click on the Play Video for a short presentation by yours truly.

The Pledge buttons on the right side are pretty self-explanatory.

I thank you for your time, and wish you well:

Gary Showalter

No comments:

Post a Comment