I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I’m starting to feel my age, and I hate it

 

All three of my sons are engaged to be married some time this year. Yonatan, my second son, and his fiancé Shani, will be married on 3 June, in Israel. The other two , Natanel and Simcha, have announced their engagements to long-standing (and very patient) girlfriends, but no dates have been set.

My daughter Vered, my baby girl, is quite wisely staying in university and keeping her nose in her books. She told me the other day that all three of the girls – Tehilla (Simcha’s fiancé – he’s my third son), Adi (Natanel’s fiancé – he’s my first son) and Shani are all very nice girls.

Natanel and Adi have been keeping each other company for several years. He runs a café in Jerusalem and is studying internet marketing, and Adi is just finishing university. Yoni, my second son, is studying physical education in the Weitzman Institute near Netanya, and he teaches climbing and rappelling in Jerusalem. I forget what his fiancé does, but she is graduating later this year, while Yoni has another three years before he gets his degree. Simcha holds a job in the government, doing something that pays fairly well, and I don’t know what his fiancé does.

Yes, if I were a woman I would know everything about these girls, their families and where their grandparents were born and what they did to earn their keep and how many children they had and how much each weighed when they were born, too.

But I’m not.

I know my three sons are all engaged. And I am very happy for them all.

I also know that I am getting old. I’m happy about that, too (considering my options).

No comments:

Post a Comment