I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Friday, March 16, 2012

I threatened to fire myself …

--- f I didn’t post something today. I’m a  lousy boss and an even worse employee. Or maybe I just lack any motivation.

In all truth I have been exceedingly busy pulling my ends together all week long. You know how it is; you get up Monday morning, spend all day accomplishing things and fixing problems, go to sleep and then when you wake up Tuesday morning, you find out that somebody has screwed up your life while you were partying in dreamland and you have to run around and fix more stuff.

Well, when you’ve just moved from one city to another, sent one novel off to your publisher and get started on a new project right away and still have to deal with all the fiddly bits involved in that move, the problems you have to deal with are immediate and simply have to be done right then and there. In fact, most of  your time is spent dealing with stuff you should have been doing while you were packing, moving and unpacking.

You don’t have a schedule; you’re playing catch-up with your life. Schedules are for people who don’t stand their lives on their pointy little heads every year or two. Schedules are something you can only dream about having. Schedules are the stuff of legends and happy-ever-after tales and maybe even science fiction. Schedules are for accountants and wedding planners and bankers. Real people, not itinerant writers.

So there. Stop whining.

I got an email the other day from the nice people at Amazon. They told me that I may be found in violation of my exclusivity agreement with them. It seems that KOBO (www.kobo.com), an on-line retailer was selling one of my novels in violation of the aforementioned agreement.

I have done very well with Amazon since I joined their Prime Program for eBooks, so I leapt into action (actually, I just clicked on the hyperlink in their email) and visited that on-line retailer’s web site. Not only did they have “Twisted Key” listed as one of their eBooks, it was listed as retailing for $7.99, marked down from $9.99. What a deal, huh, folks?

Amazon has all of my novels (with my permission and according to MY pricing) marked for sale at $3.00.

It took two days and two phone calls before that retailer pulled “Twisted Key” from their list. I have no idea how long they had it for sale or how many copies they managed to sell at their ‘marked-down’ price, if any. I have no idea how much money they stole from me, the author.

But they are not selling it any longer. Thank you for catching that, Amazon.

I am now back to work on “A Silent Star”. Full time. I was supposed to  deliver a few chapters to my co-author at the end of this week, but I was distracted by the ‘meaningful discussion’ I had with KOBO.com and a few health-related issues (meaning finding a doctor and getting all  he files and paperwork sorted out with them). So Tony will get that material at the beginning of next week. KOBO cost me time, and it’s time that is the only non-renewable resource we have.

Time really is precious. Don’t waste it. Not even a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment