I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

“Lonesome Cove” is finished!!!

 

"Lonesome Cove" is finished, for the most part. I typed the last word not ten minutes ago. What a relief that is. I put in eleven hour days for the last five days and produced on average 4500 words a day just to get it done, damnit.
But they are GOOD words, and in the right order, and I promise you'll enjoy reading it as much (and hopefully more) than I enjoyed writing it. I've got another day or so of rereading and adding a few bits here and there before I send it off to the editors, but it is done!

And man, was that a tough gig. I am wiped out. My back hurts, I’ve had no exercise and it seems even my dreams conspired to keep me pumping out the words. I didn’t have to spend much time thinking about what I was writing; in fact, it was just the opposite. I had to slow my typing way down or waste a lot of time going back to correct typing errors.

The words were already written, somewhere way in the back of my lizard brain. I just had to let them out slowly so my fingers could keep up with the flow.

It’s a fine story indeed, and I am tickled pink to know that I had a hand in writing it.

Two very long years of writing, and a long, hard slog at the end to get it all down on ‘paper’ (sic).

But it is done, now.

As I mentioned earlier, I still have to reread it, make a few corrections, fill out a few bits here and there and then write the Dedication, Acknowledgements and Author’s Note pages, but the story itself is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment