I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Updates on “Twisted Key” and “Lonesome Cove”, moving, and Upcoming Events

 

“Twisted Key” should be available in paperback some time in September. I will be sending the text and cover art to the publisher near the end of this month. “Lonesome Cove” has proven to be somewhat troublesome, through no fault of my characters. I have identified most of the errors in plotting and will be starting on my rewrites some time next week, if our upcoming move does not get in the way.

Yes, we are moving. Again. This time we are moving into nice, roomy ranch-style house with a two-car garage that will probably never see a car in it. But it will see a workshop. I have every intention of building myself another 36-string harp with Truitt levers. And then one of John Welsford’s perky 17 foot yawl-rigged Pathfinders, probably the cuddy cabin version. These handy little boats are relatively easy to build, real pretty in and out of the water, and make great camp cruisers. They are also zippy sailors and comfortable, stable and reasonably dry when the wind and waves pick up. http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/index.html

I quit chasing women a long time ago, when I realized they can all run a lot faster than me. So now I write, or read. That can become boring, so I’m going to put together a workshop and build some fun guy stuff.

But first, we have to move, and get settled in. Then I’ll build a workbench, purchase some floor machinery – table saw, band saw, planer/joiner and a nice drill press. And clamps. Lots of clamps. But hunting down that stuff at a price I’m willing to pay is fun, too. Take a look at the Photo Gallery on my web site for examples of what I have built and restored over the years: (www.garyshowalter.com/PhotoGallery.aspx).

There are some events in July and August I want to tell you about.

Giovanni Gelati is a fellow blogger, but he takes things a bit further than most. Giovanni also hosts a blog talk (live) radio show. Here’s the link: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gelatisscoop. I will be his guest on the 22nd of July, at 3:15 in the afternoon. If you can’t catch the live show he does maintain an archive. I’ll post the link for the archive after the show.

Charlene Wilson hosts guest authors on her blog: http://cawilson.blogspot.com/. She will be posting a print interview with me on August 8.

On 16 August, the Women’s Club of Palatka, Fl, is presenting a meet the authors evening as a part of the "One Book, One Putnam" project to promote reading in Putnam County. The venue is 605 South 13th Street (on the corner of Crill Ave. and 13th St.), Palatka, FL 32178. The evening will run from 5:30 - 7:30 PM. At last count, seven (and probably more) local authors will be present to display and sell their work. These events are always very interesting, for the authors as well as for attendees.

On the 24th of September I will again be participating in the “Florida Heritage Book Festival” (http://fhbookfest.com/) in St. Augustine, Fl. The address is #50 Sevilla Street, Flagler College Ringhaver Student Bldg, 2nd Floor, St. Augustine, Fl. I will be there from 9:00 - 5:00. Again, there will be a veritable clatter of authors and if it is anything like last year there will be a great crowd of visitors. Among the featured writers this year will be Randy Wayne White and Peter Matthiessen.

No comments:

Post a Comment