I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I am somewhat confused about a few things

 

And I am a day late in posting this, too. Sorry about that. Part of that confusion I mentioned above, I suppose. Lately people have been telling me to focus more. My web site is way too diverse, and so are my blog posts.

Frankly, I know the web site needs a redo, and I have been putting it off since I am not a web site designer and absolutely refuse to pay someone who is to take the job on. I’m a writer with more than a passing acquaintance with computers and internet technology. Enough experience, in fact to have a pretty good idea of what I don’t know when it comes to designing web sites. And I don’t really want to take the time to learn all that stuff.

So I will be redesigning my web site some day real soon now. I promise.

This blog started out with the goal of writing about writing, and to me that includes writing about the software I use and the problems I face in using it and the solutions (if any) to those problems. And I’ve heard from several people over the last few weeks that I have to focus like a laser on writing – maybe included excerpts from the novel I’m writing and invite comments and suggestions. That sort of thing.

But I should stick to writing about writing and avoid computer stuff and furniture and restoration and stuff.

Well, maybe, but then again, maybe not. I am a writer with a very broad background, and all of that experience – in computers, and furniture making and restoration and silver and gold smithing and grounds maintenance and half a dozen other lines of work are all a part of yours truly, and that experience influences my novels no end.

I’m not going to start a blog just about furniture making for the same reasons I’m not going to start a blog about gold smithing or stone setting. Simply put, I don’t make a penny from these posts, but I do make a living (well, sort of) from my novels. So I spend much of my valuable (to me) time writing those novels and put in about an hour a week on this blog and checking out FaceBook and LinkedIn and the other social media sites where I have a presence.

And I will probably continue to write about computers and software and the problems they give me because I know good and well those same problems are ticking other folks off just as much as the do me. And some of those folks are writers and a lot of them are readers, too.

About the only things I will promise you I will never, ever cover in these blog posts are religion and politics. There are a few other subjects, but they’re not worth mentioning. In any case I’ll never discuss them, so who cares.

About a week ago I released “Collected Essays & Articles Written in Israel During 2001”, in Kindle format on Amazon.  I moved to Israel in 1981 and left to return to the States at the end of 2003, so I had some familiarity with Israel, Israelis and Israeli politics in the year 2001. In fact I knew a few of the Movers and Shakers in those days.  I admired many of them and couldn’t stand to be in the same room with the rest.

Everything in the collection has been published.

Here’s the link to the collection:

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Essays-Articles-Written-ebook/dp/B004ZGOKVA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1305063089&sr=1-4

The articles in this collection cover cover Israeli politics and Muslim terror, and I don’t pull any punches with either subject. Some of the material is valuable for its historical value but most of it is still relevant to the world we find ourselves in today.

These articles are not the “I’ve got the answers to the world’s problems!” sort of things. They are a very direct, no-holds-barred, concise explanation of the who, what, when where, why and how of many of the problems Israel faces today and what American should expe4ct to face tomorrow and next year and the year after that.

Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment