I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sales are up, I am happy to say.

 

Internet sales of “The Big Bend” and “Hog Valley” were both up for the month of March. The best month in this new year to date. That’s for both paperback and Kindle, by the way. I very much hope that “Twisted Key” will be out soon, and that should go a long ways toward improving relations with my bank manager.

I didn’t get to do much on “Lonesome Cove” this week. Some editing was done at the beginning of the week – I’m up to page 204 in the  manuscript, which means it’s time to go back and massage all the bits into place before I write the final one hundred pages of the story.  But some time on Tuesday I began to feel a bit ill – passing kidney stones at first, then a cyst on my back began to get a bit fractious and then an abscess began to form behind one of my molars.

Aha! Said I, as a pattern began to make itself apparent.

That’s when I realized I needed to see a doctor. So the cyst has been drained – twice, and I’m on three types of antibiotics. No more kidney stones flowing painfully through places they have no right to be, and the abscess behind my molar is beginning to shrink. Getting old is not as much fun as the adds on television say it is.  But at least I’m still here to write about it.

I was supposed to drive down to Silver Springs this weekend to photograph the artwork for the cover of “Twisted Key”,  but what with being nibbled into an early grave by that infection I had to put it off. I hope to do that Tuesday morning. Mickey Summers, the artist who does all of my cover art, says it’s a lovely picture and photographs very well. I’ll try to get a photo posted when I get back.

One of my favorite authors – Simon Winchester – has a new book out. It’s titled “Atlantic”. Simon writes about real stuff. “Krakatoa”, “A Crack in the Edge of the World”, “The Map that Changed the World”. Fascinating stuff, and he writes in absolutely gorgeous English. Not only that, but you can actually understand what he’s saying. His writing is clear and engaging and the subject matter is truly fascinating. If you have any interest in how this planet of ours works, about how we as humans cope with this earth and its changes, pick up one of his books. You won’t be disappointed.

I’ll be back to work on “Lonesome Cove” on Wednesday and try to get the editing done by the weekend. Then I start on the final third of the story.

Have a good week. Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment