I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Busy is as busy does

 

I spent much of the last two weeks building stuff and moving furniture. It’s a nice break from sitting in front of the computer and pretending to work for a living, but that does not excuse my failure to post to my blog. Please accept my apologies.

My brother-in-law lost his father a few months ago and has spent much of his time clearing up the estate and selling off housewares and getting ready to sell the house. I built three tables for the garage sale and helped to move stuff around and sort out what would stay and what would go. He’s got a storage locker, so much of what he and my sister wanted to keep had to be moved into the locker. We did that last weekend, and brought some of the stuff into our apartment. That included what must be the world’s heaviest refrigerator and the world’s heaviest 6000K generator. Not to mention that the tires on the generator were flat and we didn’t have a compressor with us. But we did okay for two old farts.

Admittedly, it took both of us a few days to recover. But it’s done, now.

“Twisted Key” is ready for the publisher. I’ve even got the cover art, but it will be some time next month before I can pack it all off. “Lonesome Cove”, the fourth novel, should be ready for the editors about the same time. There are a few plot-related issues I have to resolve and then I can finish the first draught.

Windows 7 has a few issues, as well. It tends to drop the ‘Always On’ internet connection at odd moments. This is a known issue, but the microsofties have yet to provide a fix for it. I keep the Control Panel open to the Networks section and check the connection each time I open a browser window. It’s the only ‘Fix’ I’ve been able to come up with.

If you’ve got a solution for this, please let me know.

Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment