I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Nothing else seemed to work…

 

…so I took on another project. I’ve been stalling, actually thinking of things to do to avoid getting back to work on “Twisted Key”. It’s not unusual, actually. It’s not that I’m tired of Terry Rankin and Cathy Diamond, or even the story line. I just didn’t want to sink back into the “Zone” again.

Well, that particular problem is out of the way.

I was one of eighteen authors at a group book signing party give by the Historic Grounds Bookstore in Green Cove Springs last Saturday night. I got there earlier than most and was still setting up my table when a customer and her daughter entered the store to look around. She promptly bought copies of “The Big Bend” and “Hog Valley”, which I happily signed for her. Once the party got under way an hour later, I spent the rest of the evening selling and signing books.

It was a great evening. I hope all of the other authors did as well as I did. I met a lot of very nice people – new authors, old authors, journalists and even a publisher. And customers, of course. Lots of very nice customers.

One of whom wrote me a few days later to say she had already finished “The Big Bend” and loved it. She said she reads a lot of murder mysteries. So many, in fact, she can easily predict ‘who done it’, which must really ruin an otherwise good story for her. But in “The Big Bend” she was surprised by the ending, and loved that immensely. A few days later she got back in touch and said she thoroughly enjoyed “Hog Valley” and was waiting for “Twisted Key”. She also mentioned she was thinking of taking a long drive around Florida to see some of the locations in my books.

What a great compliment that would be for any author. And what a great encouragement to keep on writing. I feel like running into the street, yelling “More appreciation! Less cash!” I would never do that, of course, but the thought is there.

I had lunch around mid-week with that publisher I met at the book signing. He suggested a book project to me. We spent the next ninety minutes eating and talking. About editing, and books, and marketing and promotion. And that project. I sent him an email this afternoon, telling him I had an outline ready and would work on the first chapter, starting tomorrow. I should have it ready for him around mid-week.

“Twisted Key” will get equal time, I promise.

I’m looking forward to this next week. I hope you are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment