I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

WordPress migration redeux, SnapIt 3.7

 

Here we go again. I’ve got enough on my plate without having to deal with Microsoft induced headaches.  I’ve worked in and around computer hardware and software since 1971, so I’ve seen my share of migration screw-ups, thank you very much. I host my web site, www.garyshowalter.com, at the Microsoft Live site, and keeping my blog updated is important to me. The web site service is good, generally speaking, if limited. That’s all I need, so a few limitations are okay with me. But the other day Microsoft migrated their blog hosting to WordPress for one reason or another, and that meant my blog no longer appeared on my Author’s Blog page on the web site.

You can’t configure WordPress to automatically mirror your blog post to a blog page on your MS Live web page. They just ain’t innerested in doing that fer yeh, nosirree, Bob. So over the next several days I have to figure a way around this issue, or give serious consideration to my options.

On another note, I’ve got a neat little utility to play with. It’s called SnapIt, version 3.7. You can think of it as your PrintScreen button on steroids. Here’s a link to their web site:

http://www.digeus.com/products/snapit/snapit_screen_capture_3_5.html

It’s being marketed as a great tool for bloggers, and I can’t argue with that. But blogging aside, I’ve got a nasty suspicion there are a whole lot more uses for this little tool than snagging shots for a blog post. I’ll let you know as I give this little app it’s sea trials over  the next week or so.


Enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment