I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

SnapIt 3.7 by Digeus

SnapIt 3.7 is a nice little screen capture utility.

Here’s the URL: http://digeus.com/downloads/snapit/files/3/snapit_3_7.exe

With this little app you can grab photos from anywhere to post into your blog just as quick as a bunny. SnapIt has two modes of operation – automatic or manual. You can choose which mode to work in through the Properties menu. Right-click on the camera icon in the Tray and select ‘Properties’. Choose a Hot Key to start the Snap. The default is the Print Screen button, but you can select any button on the keyboard. Then specify a folder to store your snaps and select a file format from the 5 available; JPG, TFF, BMP, GIF or PNG. You also select a file name prefix – say, “snap”, and a number generation system such as 01, 02 and so on. You have two choices here – it can be Incremental or Random. Finally, if you want to automate the photo collection process, click the “Auto Save Images to Folder” box just under the Hot Key option at the top of the Properties dialogue box.

When you work in ‘auto’ mode all of your choices in the Properties dialogue go to work. You left-click on a photo on a web page and a cross-hair cursor appears. Crop the photo as you need and release the mouse button. Your selection is stored to the folder you chose, in the format you chose and with the file name generation system you chose. Neat, huh?

You can capture anything you see on your display – windows, menus, full screen or cropped images and even images from a video clip. Like I said, this is a neat little tool to have on hand.

In manual mode, you click on a photo, get the cross-hair cursor and crop the photo as you wish. The photo is placed in the system clipboard. You then copy/paste direct into your blog or into MS Word, your photo editor or any other application that will take it.

SnapIt 3.7 really is a handy piece of software.

Download SnapIt 3.7 from the URL above and play with it for a while. You’ll find it as handy as I do, I’m sure. Here’s another nice little option – if you post a review in your blog or on your website and send a link to your review to: Julia.taylor@digeus.com, she’ll be tickled pink to send you a registration code for your copy of SnapIt.

So you get a very nice little tool, lots of people get to hear about it and it doesn’t cost you a penny. What a deal. That is a business model I can live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment