I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I’m late, I’m late…

Technorati Tags: ,

…For a very important date.

Actually, I’ve been extremely busy, preoccupied and cursed with a sour stomach. Which makes for a bad combination when you’re doing your darndest to make headway against an economy that seems to be going downhill in a hurry. With vigor.

Then again, what would life be without a challenge, eh? Quiet? Maybe even peaceful?

Well, here’s a challenge for you. Actually, it’s another challenge for me, but you can chime in, if you want. “Twisted Key” is the third in my Terry Rankin series of murder mysteries. The problem is, as one reader of the manuscript puts it, that it starts slow. He’s read both “The Big Bend” and “Hog Valley” and is not interested in re-reading what happened in those two novels before he gets into the meat of the new story. So I have to pare down on the background. I already did, but what remains is still slowing down the pace way too much. New readers who pick up “Twisted Key” first might find the information useful, but then again maybe it will just be a distraction, instead. So I’ll get out my pruning shears and go to work.

I spent my weekend at the Orange Park Fall Festival and quite happily sold a large number of books. Well, not Carl Hiaasen large (no, he wasn’t there), but for me it was a lot of books. I offered a 2-fer, meaning if a customer purchased both “The Big Bend” and Hog Valley” I’d knock $5.00 off the price.  It worked, really well. I sold a lot of books (it bears repeating).

On the 6th of November I will be at the Middleburg Historic Festival, selling and signing. That’s going to be a lot of fun – they have some re-enactments scheduled, some music, lots of food and other stuff going on. The festival starts at 9:00 am and goes on until 3:00 pm.

I hope you’re having a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment