I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Monday, July 26, 2010

It's Monday all over again

Technorati Tags: ,
I got back to Orange Park on Saturday morning. Doing back-to-back book signings make a lot of sense economically, but it sure is a drag have to do all of that driving in two days. I was about as close to being wiped out as I ever want to be.
The event in Gainesville netted me one sale. On the surface that does not come anywhere close to paying for the gas to get there, but I did get to meet and speak with some very nice people. they may not buy right then and there, but they might next week, or the week after. You never know.
The even at “All About Art” in Belleview was a chromatically variant equine entirely. First of all, it took place in a very unique gallery filled with really neat stuff. There were paintings, as you might imagine, and wood carvings, and stained glass, and clothing and books and incense and art classes and yoga classes. Who’d a thought?
And at least one of the owners is a very good cook. We – the authors – had our tables set up in an exercise room, and the we sat around, introduced ourselves and chatted. About books, of course, and the business of being writers. Lynn Abbey was there – she co-authors with folks like Piers Paul Anthony and does a lot of her own writing as well, and Allan Ansorge – he writes mysteries set up north, and Lydia Hawke, she writes historical fiction set in Florida, and several others whose names I can’t for the life of me recall.
The ladies who set up the evening served as a very nice supper.
Visitors started to arrive right at seven and kept arriving until the event ended at nine. I sold six copies and wound up taking one home. But that’s okay, because my sister had it sold long before I got back to orange Park.
There were a lot of very nice people – authors and visitors alike – at that evening. I feel lucky to have been invited.
Now on to software. I will be writing more about Photoshop Elements 8 by Adobe over the next week or so, with comments about the User Interface this time. I really like this tool.
I’ve been using Intuit’s SimpleStart free version of Quickbooks to control and account for my financing, and I am not all that happy with it. So I started looking around to see what else is available. I found an OpenSource product called TurboCash4 at SourceForge.
OpenSource is freeware all grown up. OpenSource is the Matterhorn of freeware.
You will be reading a good bit about TurboCash4 over the next few weeks.
Stay Tuned.
I wish you all a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment