I'm a writer. There, I've admitted it. I wonder if there's a 12-Step program for folks like me...

Most of this blog will be about writing for a living. Or maybe about trying to earn a living as a writer. Or maybe about trying to have a life while you write.

And maybe I'll be able to avoid the driving temptation to write about politics. But I'm not very good around temptation, so all I can promise is that I'll try to avoid writing about politics.

But I will write about the software I use, and the software I try out, and what I think about it. I actually spent lots of years in software testing - as a tester and as a manager of testing departments. I actually started work in software development in 1971, so I have a bit of experience with computers to back up what I have to say on this subject.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

“Hog Valley” goes to press -finally

Technorati Tags: ,,

 

“Hog Valley” will go to press at the end of next week. I don’t have an availability date yet, but it should be the end of September. The sooner, the better, to my way of thinking.

I have two large events ahead. On 25 September I will be at the Florida Heritage Book Festival in St. Augustine, in the Virginia Room on the 2nd floor of the Ringhaver Student Center at Flagler College. That’s at the corner of Sevilla and King streets. Hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

On October 16th and 17th I will be at the Orange Park Fall Festival. That will be at 2042 Park Avenue, in the Town Hall. Saturday the 16th 9:30am till 6:00pm. with Opening Ceremonies beginning at 9:30am. Sunday the 17th from 9:30am till 5:00pm.

I am partnering with Lydia Hawkes at both events. She is a a writer of Civil War stories and a great writer. By the way, one of her novels is now a movie…

Today was spent catching up on stuff I managed to put off all week long. I spent a few hours with Adobe’s Photoshop Elements 8, making up 3” x 5” cards featuring the cover art for both “The Big Bend” and “Hog Valley”, along with a few reader comments and the web site address.

PromoCard31Jul2010 copy

It took me about an hour, once I had the two covers resized. Photoshop takes a bit of getting used to because the ‘how-to’ is not always clear, but once you figure out how to do something one way, you just naturally figure out other ways to do the same job. There is plenty of on-line help with this product, so there is no need to hesitate. If you’re unsure how to do something, save your work space and go find out ‘how-to’.

The UI has a dark charcoal background so as not to distract you from your work space. All of the tools are easily available and unambiguous. Even with the limited RAM on my computer, Photoshop Elements works like a charm.

Download the trial version and play with it. It’s fully featured and you’ll have plenty of time to put out some nice work. You’ll probably wind up buying it.

 

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment